Tuesday, July 29, 2008

3 Reasons why it is Unthinkable NOT to Support Obama

1. ANY Democratic candidate will:
-- stick up more for working people
-- protect the environment and consumers
-- move us closer to universal health care
-- address income inequality
-- promote renewable energy
-- get us out of Iraq sooner and be less likely to lead us into any other war
-- restore the rule of law, human rights, and our moral leadership in the world
... than ANY Republican candidate.

Plus, there will literally 1000s of decisions by a new Democratic administration that won't get press coverage but will make a positive difference in our lives and the future of this planet:
-- decisions based on sound scientific evidence (for a change)
-- decisions based on the belief that government can work
-- decisions that will reign in special interests
-- decisions that recognize the need for a social safety net
-- decisions that provide a fairer distribution of benefits and responsibilities
-- decisions to hire competent people to make these decisions

2. Barack Obama isn't just ANY Democrat. He has the right stuff: a rare combination of intellect, eloquence, judgment, and natural grace. He makes it seem so easy that many people don't believe it. (And, yes, yes, I know he is far from perfect.)

However, to my mind, he demonstrated his sincerity and dedication with a single life decision: his choice after graduating from an Ivy League college (where he could have had his pick of lucrative, high-powered jobs) to commit his talents to working with the poor in Chicago’s housing projects and African-American churches. To have someone that smart and that accomplished, making that choice in the 80s when the rush was on for investment banking and similar get-rich-quick careers, was truly rare.

I’ve spent 40 years of my own life working in and on behalf of low income communities. The people I knew – the really sharp ones like Obama who made that kind of unconventional choice were extraordinary -- all of them. It is an unassailable sign of character to make such a commitment -- especially in those times when it was far from trendy.

Today, people seem all too willing to grab at any lie, deception, or distortion to convince themselves they are not being naive. But I'm convinced it is a very safe bet to assume that Obama is what he seems: a good person with intellect and vision; a patriot who wants the best for America.

3. The Supreme Court




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Terry,

I've never known anyone who was a convention delegate so it will be great to hear your reporting. I remember how much fun I had watching the conventions on TV when I was a kid in the 60s. I've become disenchanted with conventions in the recent years because I view them as predictable and manipulative. Even so, I totally admire your energy, commitment, and enthusiasm as a delegate for your candidate.

From my view, it is not at all unthinkable not to support Obama.

I've never heard Obama mention that the US government is bankrupt and yet he is committed to spending huge amounts of money on all manner of promises. Even if we stopped the war tomorrow and saved that money, it will be a drop in the bucket compared to the current debt [debt ceiling just increased by 800 billion dollars thanks to the generosity of Barney Frank and his Merry Men in their bill to bail out Fannie and Freddie]and the enormous debt that is to come due to unfunded entitlements. I don't agree with everything that Ron Paul supports, but I agree with enough of the big stuff to vote for him [limited government, reversing the debasement of the currency, ending our empire building abroad, opposition to the Iraq war].

I admire Obama. I was stunned at my reaction the first time I heard him on TV. I was conscious of being totally seduced by his voice, language, brilliance and presence. His charisma is enormous and I imagine that this charisma could actually be quite intoxicating in person. I also like that he has engaged so many young voters. He was a commanding presence overseas and I'm sure he was an eager and informed participant at the recent gathering of financial experts that he convened to talk about the economy. I expect that he will be elected and I will wish him well as he faces what is in store for him. He will need raw, bold courage far more than hope.

But, as unthinkable as it may sound from a former democrat/liberal/progressive, I'm voting for Ron Paul.

I expect that many democrats will do the knee-jerk thing and try to persuade me that a vote for Ron Paul is actually a vote for McCain. Or worse, they'll blame the Ron Paul voters if McCain is elected.

In the interest of free speech, I'll tell democrats so inclined to go on ahead and get it off your chest, if you must. I liberated myself many years ago from the burden of voting for what is often described as "the lesser of two evils" and it was a delight to finally realize that I am free to vote my conscience. And I will.

Have a terrific time, take care of yourself and I'll be tuning in for your reports! I'll be watching the conventions on the Comedy Channel via Stewart and Colbert. It's my only hope of hearing a modicum of truthful coverage. Mara

Jason said...

Terry,

You are fine writer with insight and passion! I am so grateful you are doing this!

The second para is so critical and what I harp on to others: governance is about all the relatively nameless people who are deputy under-secretaries of this or that. This is where governance gets daily traction, where so many decisions are made, for good or bad. It is about time we got a government that brings in people who are actually capable and interested in good, creative governance that either knows how to solve problems, or simply gets the hell out of the way to let others do it.

Keep on letting those fingers fly!!

Jason