Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Still Flying High...

I realize that I have been writing here about a wide range of issues - willy nilly, but little about the delegate experience -- or what this blog is supposed to be about. So, let me share -- as they say.

I have to admit that for me, this delegate thing is a big deal. These months feel something like that magical time between my engagement and wedding. Dreams fulfilled. Heady plans to make. Well-wishers. Being the center of attention at times which can also be a bit uncomfortable. A few minor shadows, too, like the loss of my balloon fantasy.

I keep running into my fellow wake county delegates elected with me at the District 13 convention -- John Verdejo, Lisa Hooker, Mark Ezell, and Mary Starkey ( r -l on photo in the upper right of this blog) at various Obama functions. We ask each other , "Feet touched the ground, yet?" The answer is always the same. "Nope."

The reaction from friends and political acquaintances has been wonderful: broad smiles, hugs, and high 5s. Everyone says they will look out for me, but I'm barely 5 feet tall. "Wear a silly hat", they say. So, I'll be packing a selection from old CISCO conventions my husband Bernie (an IBM engineer) attended over the years (photos to follow). IBMers don't seem to have conventions of their own and if they did, they wouldn't wear silly hats.

A few people requested I use this opportunity to send a message at the convention, One of neighbors suggested I wave a sign with a shout out to my local precinct 'lucky' 07-11. An old work colleague gave me her 'John Edwards is my Homeboy' button to wear. I would if I could, but I strongly suspect that we will have a dress and button and silly hat code, be marched in, handed pre-made signs, told when to wave them, and marched out again.

During the delegate meeting at the state convention in New Bern, I came to the realization that fundamentally, we will be bit players in a TV spectacle. I guess I knew that and I hope it's not quite as bad as all that and that all creativity and freedom of expression isn't squelched. I visualize that famous Apple 1984 commercial Well, we'll see.

Still, I'm flying high and I'm still bringing those hats.

No comments: