Friday, July 25, 2008

It's More Important to be an American



Howard Dean was in Raleigh this morning speaking at Democratic Headquarters. It was the kind of speech which reminded me how proud I am to be a Democrat.

He was promoting the 'post-partisan' perspective that Obama espouses: It's more important to be an American than to be a Democrat or a Republican.

For eight years, George W. has been giving the finger to people like me and questioning my patriotism. Even if I won't be getting every bullet point on my progressive agenda, I see President Obama's effort to reach out and include all Americans as building a broader political consensus for the issues I consider most important: health care, tax fairness, energy, and environmental policies, and the War.

Dean was welcoming to
Evangelicals, promoted the DNC's 50-state strategy ("It's a sign of respect to ask people for their votes," and framed universal health care as a jobs program (witness the struggling auto industry responsible for employer-sponsored coverage), not just a human services issue.

He was pragmatic. I like pragmatic.

A few Deaniacs were there wistfully wearing their 2004 Dean T-shirts. Good people.

Paulette Hill has posted a YouTube video of the event here.



No comments: